Sunday, August 5, 2007

Tchau

I have hit my four-month mark and am amazed how fast time has gone. Yesterday I filmed at the Fórum Social Nordestino – a local forum modeled on the World Social Forums that have taken place all over the world. This one specifically addressed issues in the Northeast of Brasil (this is where Bahia is located. It’s the poorest state in the country). I went to meeting of activists working on the issues of quilmobos which are communities located all over brasil that were started by runaway slaves and have maintained a strong history of resistance and tradition. There is a huge struggle right now in Brazil over the quilombos which are under threat from large landowners (fazendeiros) and other companies that want their land. Many of the quilbombos are trying to get title to their land so that they can be declared the legal owners but they have to undergo a lengthy process proving that they are indeed the descendants of slaves. Today I go up to Cachoeira and stay until the end of the month. I will do most of my filming during this time – filming the Festa da morte, more interviews with the Sisters, townspeople etc. My colleague and friend Annie is coming up from Rio and will shoot the festa for me which is awesome. I’m very happy not to have to be a one-man band (shooting, producing, and interviewing). When I come back I will be moving (new neighborhood, less expensive, less touristy) so things feel a little in flux but even when your living abroad change is inevitable.
The new food discovery this month – cenouras (carrots)! Incredible -.Sweet, almost perfumey and a beautiful orangey, yellow color.
I will say tchau for now –Cachoeria is still on dial-up and internet is mush less accessible. Tenha um bom agosto! Muito saudade.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

UGH!!!!..I just wrote this beautiful pice and the computer just erased it...qwell anyway
I'm glad ur not a one man band either...I love you very much
Issa